Being an AuPair to twins is much like being a referee:
I lay down the rules
Determine possession
Control time outs
Stop the game if someone steps out of bounds
Break up fights and
Put players in the penalty box.
Sometimes I feel like the girls behavior is karma for the way that I've treated The Stripes in the past, both as an athlete and a fan. So, sorry Stripes, for all of my past infractions.
I’m sitting in a cute little cafe, drinking Kakao and eating a Linzer Auge. I can’t help thinking what my brother would say if he happened to see me in this situation: in Europe, at a traditional cafe, wearing this hat and
So this week is starting to feel routine (by the way, back there <--- where I typed "is" I originally typed "ist" and had to correct it, maybe the german is coming more naturally). Routine isn't bad, I actually like a good routine, I also love to make schedules. Every Hell Week (the week before finals) and Finals Week that I was in college I created an hour to hour color coordinated schedule for myself. If that's not OCD enough, I would usually do it in Excel so that it would be uniform. I frequently spent more time working on this schedule than I would on a final project. At any rate I'm starting to get more into the groove of things. It's still really hard, the girls insist on Maria doing some things. I understand this, I really do, but it's not like I can use the "Mom voice" and make them obey. That's not my job is it? One particularly trying time is getting the girls dressed to walk to Kindergarten. This includes snow suits, boots, scarves (Schals), hats (Hüte) and gloves (Handshue). It is a struggle every morning and eventually Maria has to come in and help because one or the other of the girls will have thrown herself on the floor completely limp, making it impossible to pick her up and sit her on a chair to get her dressed. It's usually Melina, she's a total drama queen, and coming from me, that's saying something. I get it, I do, if someone that wasn't my mother was trying to get me to leave my house, I'd be bugged too, even if I did know them. But this is the way that Maria has chosen to do things, she has chosen to have an Au Pair and so it would be really nice if the girls would stop punishing me, hopefully things will get easier soon or at all.
So the past 2 weeks have started to feel like a true routine, I don't have to look at my check list 10 times any more. I have found a better system with the girls that is actually working. I do a little more planning and we have a little more fun, it used to be just play with the toys and read a few english books. Now, we paint, and make messes, and do play dough, and sometimes we bake. Activities have included:
Water colors (the girls have painting smocks so there's no anxiety there for me) we have big paper and the girls have a riot. What Maria understands is that you don't have to keep every little thing that your kids paint, and I think that's great. So after the girls have had their fun I use the papers to line the guinea pig cage. It's fun and environmentally friendly. One we did finger painting which was a terrifying concept for me. I'm very aware of the messes in this house, any mess that remains afterwards is a reflection on me (or at least sometimes I think it is.) But so I took the girls up to the bathroom (all tile including the walls) put a bunch of paper on the floor, took them down to the diapers and proceeded to paint the girls hands and feet. And I flipped out a little every bit of paint that managed to get away from the paper. I had a "duh" moment when I realized the paint would of course be water soluble, so I ran around with wet wipes trying to stay on top of it. Consequently I did not have as much fun as I could have or should have. I've just got to loosen up a little and remember that the girls like me and that Thomas and Maria like me and I really am good at my job. Afterwards I just plopped them in the tub and sprayed them off. Then I let them play in the bubbles, dressed them and combed their hair.
Another night we made really adorable penguins. Maria has this cute simple craft book that has all sorts of animal projects using basic house hold items. The penguins consisted of 3 round cotton pads (like you use for removing makeup) 2 of them painted black, 2 googly eyes, and an orange paper beak. They were supposed to be glued onto some sort of painted landscape but instead we glued them to toilet paper tubes so they would stand up. The girls always enjoy painting and while the paint was drying we ate muffins that we had made earlier. Then we glued the white pad and one of the black pads to the tp tube with the black one on top. Then we cut the remaining black pad in half and glued the halves to the white pad as wings, then eyes and a beak and behold, baby penguins.
| Emily - Me - Melina |
| Melina - Me - Emily was taking the picture |
The girls really seemed to love this project. I think we’re going to make caterpillars soon and just paint the cotton pads all different colors and glue them to a strip of paper or maybe a paper towel tube. If anyone has any cute crafty things like this (fairly simple and short, the girls are only three years old) please leave the idea or a link or something in the comment section.
We’ve also started baking a bit, in the last couple of weeks we have made: American Pancakes (which were really fantastically delicious and fluffy)
Little bread animals. We made bread dough and then molded it like playdough before we let it rise. We made turtles (die Schildkröte) and mice (die Maus), and birds (das Vogel) and crocodiles (das Krokodil) and snakes (der Schlange). We used different seeds for eyes and patterns on the shells and the like. They were really cute but the actual taste left something to be desired. And I think that something was salt.
Banana Muffins. These were seriously delicious muffins, I left out the walnuts because the girls don’t like them. So to make them less plain, I added a splash of maple syrup (Ahornsirup), and the fake stuff my family eats, but real, thick, beautiful amber syrup. This made them super moist (I hate that word) and sweet. The recipe called for a crumb topping, but brown sugar here isn’t the same as brown sugar in the States, so I sprinkles raw sugar on top (I love raw sugar, sometimes I just sneak a pinch and let the rough crystals dissolve on my tongue). We ate them for Abendbrot even though it was really much more like dessert. I also made them eat some protein.
I try to let the girls help as much as they can, it’s fun for them, but cooking with children is messy and potentially dangerous. So I let them do as much as I can without suffering an aneurism. I measure everything and put it into separate bowls and cups so that the kids can add them and I don’t have to worry about them putting in too much backing powder or whatever. It feels like a cooking show a little bit, with everything conveniently set aside to use when you need it. It also makes it go faster at the kids stay engaged longer. I had them mash the bananas for the muffins and I let them use the hand mixer under very close supervision. They really love the hand mixer, I think I probably did too when I was little. It makes you feel a little grown up to be using such an impressive appliance. They also like to put the muffin cups in the tin. I actually remember loving to do this. I probably drove my parents crazy trying to help in the kitchen, there are so many concerns, the spinning blades of the hand mixer, the stove top, spilling the milk, eggshells in the batter. On top of all of this, the contention of who gets to use the mixer first, who gets to crack the eggs. This is another example of Karma. I was a rotten source of stress for my parents in the kitchen and now Melina and Emily are a source of stress for me in the kitchen. But I just need to relax, messes can always be cleaned up, a chip of eggshell can be picked out and we will all have more fun if I just chill out. Instead of doing the mixing in the kitchen at the counter, I take it in to the dining room table, away from the potentially hot stove, where the girls can sit on the table and help instead of standing on their chairs and reaching precariously. I’ve found that as long as I tell them in advance who will go first or who gets to do what that there is relatively little contention. And so cooking can be fun with the girls.
So this weekend I had my first real big adventure. VIENNA! Seriously, it's like a dream. I have literally dreamed about Vienna. It was always one of those places that I wanted to see but never thought I would have the opportunity to. And you know what's even more amazing? I'm going back in a month. Not only did I get to see Vienna, I get to see it over and over again. So I suppose I should start at the very beginning.
There was some anxiety about my going to Vienna. My father, being my father, had concerns about the trip. He’d heard one too many stories about some stupid girl traveling abroad, alone, meeting some guy at a bar, leaving with him and disappearing forever. Do I understand his concerns? Of course I do. Was I going to let that stop me from experience the #1 city on my list of places to visit before I die? Absolutely not. I asked around my friends and ward to see if I should actually be concerned. My bishop didn't think so, my YSA group didn't think so, and most importantly Thomas and Maria didn't think so. And so my mind was set at ease, even if my father's never could be. Friday afternoon Thomas helped me print up maps and the three of us planned my path for sight seeing and overviewed the subway system (which is really fantastic and easy) after that Thomas and Maria gave me an extra €50 for my trip, which was so very cool. They said it was a token of their appreciation for all of my great work. So validation! YAY!
Saturday morning Thomas drove me to the train station. It was unseasonably warm and had become so quite rapidly and as a result it was very windy, watch my hair get more ridiculous as the pictures progress. I had to change trains in Linz which is where the adventure truly began.
I got to take a really fast train (like 170 km/h fast) called a RailJet which I was really excited for! On the platform came my first big mistake that would ultimately lead to me not enjoying my RailJet. That mistake's name was Ali (perhaps that's how it's spelled) I caught his eye as he got off of the escalator. By the time I noticed he was headed toward me I couldn't get my headphones in fast enough. He came up to me and said (in decent english with a very thick (not germanic) accent) "when I saw you across that platform I knew I wanted to come talk to you." Flattering yes, a little creepy, also yes. We proceed to introduce ourselves (first names only, I'm no dummy) he asked me where I was from what I was doing here. Then he asked if we could sit together. Apparently I'm a little bit of a dummy because I couldn't come up with a reason not to, or even just a "no thanks". But I did tell him I had some reading I needed to do. Apparently that doesn't mean "please don't talk to me" in Europe. He continued to talk to me, telling me how nice I look and how he knew he wanted to talk to me, blah blah blah. I would go back to my reading, he would ask my something else. And it's not like the boy could enunciate, he spoke very softly, almost a mumble. Not to mention the whole language barrier. So I had to lean in closer to hear what he was saying and then ask him to repeat things five times. I think the leaning in bit was part of his sneaky plan. Eventually the line of questioning got creepier and so the lying began: No I'm not traveling alone. Yes I'm meeting a friend. No actually I don't have a phone number. Yes I have a boyfriend back home.
Even when I did get the headphones in the questioning persisted. Eventually he gave me his phone number, told me to call him, then he gave me another phone number. I told him that I probably wasn't going to call, and by probably I meant definitely. It's not really my thing calling random people I've never met before one day on a train. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that he let me have the window seat, which meant no chance for any sort of escape. He offered to buy me something off the trolley. If he hadn't been giving off the seriously creepy vibe it may have been a pleasant train ride. When we finally got to Vienna (longest hour and a half of my life) I bid him adieu and walked purposefully (and like I knew where I was going) toward the subway station. I bought my two day fahrkarte and got on the brown line for one stop.
My Vienna Tour view this map on the Google Earth setting, it's pretty cool.
I then wandered a bit in search of my hostel. Silly me had not zoomed in close enough on the google map. So I bought a street atlas of the city at the subway station. I sound investment as I will be going back in the future and when my family comes to visit we will be going there as well. I found my hostel rather quickly after that, put my things in the locker in my room changed into a lighter jacket and headed out on the town. I grabbed a Kaseleberkasesemmel from a street vendor by the subway station and headed to the historic city center. I found the club that the concert would be at that night (after some searching, walking past it 3 times and then asking directions) and started my walking tour. Which started at the University of Vienna. I am considering graduate school here. One day, when my german is better I will actually tour the University and learn about programs and such.
| Marchtrenk Train Station Platform 2 Marchtrenk Bahnhof Bahnsteig 2 |
*magical segue chimes*
I got to take a really fast train (like 170 km/h fast) called a RailJet which I was really excited for! On the platform came my first big mistake that would ultimately lead to me not enjoying my RailJet. That mistake's name was Ali (perhaps that's how it's spelled) I caught his eye as he got off of the escalator. By the time I noticed he was headed toward me I couldn't get my headphones in fast enough. He came up to me and said (in decent english with a very thick (not germanic) accent) "when I saw you across that platform I knew I wanted to come talk to you." Flattering yes, a little creepy, also yes. We proceed to introduce ourselves (first names only, I'm no dummy) he asked me where I was from what I was doing here. Then he asked if we could sit together. Apparently I'm a little bit of a dummy because I couldn't come up with a reason not to, or even just a "no thanks". But I did tell him I had some reading I needed to do. Apparently that doesn't mean "please don't talk to me" in Europe. He continued to talk to me, telling me how nice I look and how he knew he wanted to talk to me, blah blah blah. I would go back to my reading, he would ask my something else. And it's not like the boy could enunciate, he spoke very softly, almost a mumble. Not to mention the whole language barrier. So I had to lean in closer to hear what he was saying and then ask him to repeat things five times. I think the leaning in bit was part of his sneaky plan. Eventually the line of questioning got creepier and so the lying began: No I'm not traveling alone. Yes I'm meeting a friend. No actually I don't have a phone number. Yes I have a boyfriend back home.
Even when I did get the headphones in the questioning persisted. Eventually he gave me his phone number, told me to call him, then he gave me another phone number. I told him that I probably wasn't going to call, and by probably I meant definitely. It's not really my thing calling random people I've never met before one day on a train. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that he let me have the window seat, which meant no chance for any sort of escape. He offered to buy me something off the trolley. If he hadn't been giving off the seriously creepy vibe it may have been a pleasant train ride. When we finally got to Vienna (longest hour and a half of my life) I bid him adieu and walked purposefully (and like I knew where I was going) toward the subway station. I bought my two day fahrkarte and got on the brown line for one stop.
My Vienna Tour view this map on the Google Earth setting, it's pretty cool.
I then wandered a bit in search of my hostel. Silly me had not zoomed in close enough on the google map. So I bought a street atlas of the city at the subway station. I sound investment as I will be going back in the future and when my family comes to visit we will be going there as well. I found my hostel rather quickly after that, put my things in the locker in my room changed into a lighter jacket and headed out on the town. I grabbed a Kaseleberkasesemmel from a street vendor by the subway station and headed to the historic city center. I found the club that the concert would be at that night (after some searching, walking past it 3 times and then asking directions) and started my walking tour. Which started at the University of Vienna. I am considering graduate school here. One day, when my german is better I will actually tour the University and learn about programs and such.
It's a lovely old building (I'm sure there are more building but I just saw this one) and right next door is the Rathaus. Basically like the city administration building. The mayor's office is there and all that type of stuff. However the building itself is fantastic!
During the winter they have an ice skating rink in front of the Rathaus I think I may give it a shot when I'm there at the beginning of March for Ben Folds. That's right, I get to see Ben Folds in Vienna.
Next door is Parliament. A newer building in the Neo-Roman style. And by newer I mean mid 19th century as opposed to mid 16th century.
Notice the hair getting crazier. I then rounded the corner toward the Volksgarten or the People's Park. I didn't spend a great deal of time there as it's winter and not terribly beautiful right now, but it is large. The Burgplatz is the Center of the old city. You walk past the Volksgarten, through the city gate onto a huge plaza which is historically the front courtyard of the Imperial Palace built by the Hapsburg family. The Hapsburgs were the last imperial family of the Holy Roman Empire first imperial family of Austria after the fall. Marie Antoinette was a Hapsburg, daughter of Maria Teresia and Franz Stephan (the last Roman Emperor) Anyway the Hofburg Palace was the winter home of the Imperial Family.
After you walk through Josefsplatz I walked past the Spanish Riding School it's a very interesting tradition. A beautiful building with a dirt floor on which horses prance around ceremoniously. It's kind of a big deal, it's on television a several times a year.
Through the dome is Michaelsplatz which has some exposed ruins from 14th century Vienna.
It's big and beautiful but not nearly as impressive as their summer Palace which you will see later. Then I walked into Josefsplatz which is an inner courtyard.
| My lighting was not great by this point in the day, sorry. |
| This is the dome outside of the Spanish Riding School |
I next walked through Kohlmarkt the most expensive shopping in Austria. Ya know when you look at on a label and it says the cities that have stores "Prague, London, New York, Paris, Vienna" this is the place.
I took these pictures mainly for Payden Adams, I thought he'd get a kick out of them and I found myself wishing he was there with me.
I then rounded the corner to a great little Gelato shop. I don't remember what it was called but it was delicious, I had Hasselnuss, Minz und Schokolade. Hazelnut, Mint and Chocolate. And one of the guys working there looked like a young Ben Folds but with longish hair. Just my type. I didn't talk to him more than just saying hello and I figure it would have been creepy to take a picture so I didn't I just went on my way down Graben a beautiful square with very old buildings including the Petersplatz Kirche
Around the next corner was the most spectacular breathtaking sight of Vienna.
| The first view of Stephansdom - St. Stephan's Cathedral |
There is some restoration being done on the outside and so they cover the scaffolding with a facade of the building.
The roof is made of small tiles that were crafted by local artisans
Pulpit of John Capistrano
I was here Saturday evening and Sunday morning. I attended the mass. It was the Messa modale by Jehan-Ariste Alain in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the piece's debut. It was really beautiful. The lighting was a little better Sunday morning because the sky was grey instead of white.
I took about a hundred pictures of this building... I'm not exaggerating. My photos don't even give it half the credit due. When I walked in I was able to sigh "wow" and then was rendered completely speechless.
I stopped to pray for a bit and thank God for the beauty of the Earth and for my opportunity to be here and for the faith of the people that sacrificed so much for this beautiful building. After Stephansdom I headed back to my hostel to change for the concert. I didn't want to wear my wool peacoat to what I assumed would be a very smokey club. I then headed up town near the university. I found a cute little restaurant in which to eat Wienerschnitzel und Pommefritz. That's right Wienerschnitzel in Wien. And it was everything a schnitzel should be; really delicious and crisp and so thin! Schnitzel is pretty much anything that is fried Weinerschniztel happens to be veal cut very thin and pounded thinner with a wooden mallet. It is then schnitzelized, which is to say breaded and pan fried. Squeeze a little lemon juice on top (not too much otherwise the breading gets soggy [this is also why you never eat Saurkraut on top of Schnitzel as I learned from experience]) and you have my favorite thing to eat in Austria.
At the venue I waited with everyone else, overhearing conversations "practicing my german". Come to find out the show is sold out... How can that happen, they don't sell out in Utah how are they going to sell out in Austria when they have two nights?!? well they did, I decided to wait around to see if anyone was getting rid of extra tickets. In the meanwhile I met a couple of incredibly nice Hungarian boys. They were only able to accrue one ticket before they came and so were in the same boat that I was. We talked for a bit about my old band and what I'm doing here. They offered me beer and cigarettes just like nice European boy should. One spoke a little german and a little english, the other spoke only hungarian. I wish I had been able to remember/pronounce their names, it would make telling this story much easier. We'll call the one that speaks english Joska and his friend Adelbert. So Joska went to check with someone about a ticket leaving me with Adelbert. It was quite chilly and I was just wearing my/Richard Marsh's Ben Folds track jacket. Joska had offered me his coat earlier and I politely and graciously declined. I mean it was cold and he was just wearing a t-shirt. But after he left, Adelbert offered me his leather jacket, I tried to say "no, thank you" but still seem nice just using gestures because of the whole language barrier. It didn't work, I ended up wearing his delightfully soft leather jacket. As the start of the concert grew nearer, and my trio was still waiting for tickets we started to really ask around. Then after a short hungarian conversation Joska and Adelberg offered me their one ticket. I denied it and said that we should just wait a bit longer for two tickets. Joska insisted that I go, that someone should use the ticket from the very beginning and that one of them wouldn't be going without the other. I told them that I would only take their ticket on the condition that if they did happen to get in, they would meet me at the bar between sets and let me buy them a couple of beers. Tickets tickets at the door for the would have been €20 but since Joska and Adelberg only paid €18 they would not let me pay more than that. Seriously so nice. Gosh I wish I had caught their names!!! I want to be their facebook friend! I want to thank them! I want to send them gifts! Joska taught me to say thanks in hungarian so I could thank Adelberg for his coat "Köszönet". Anyway I went into the show, which incidentally was not smokey, it was a smoke free bar. The openers New Riot rocked!
British 4th wave, very fun. I wish I'd bought their album. Dumb dumb dumb. I went to look for Joska and Adelberg but no luck. I even walked all the way through the bar as far as I could and still be let back in. I really hope they got in.
| Dan Regan and Aaron Barrett |
| Aaron Barrett |
After the show I said to Gerd "I want to drink all the water in the world"
Gerd: I just want a beer
Me: Of course you do, you're Austrian, you drink beer like I drink water.
Gerd: that's not entirely true, I drink water just not after five or on the weekends
I thought it was funny. Then I got on the train headed back to the hostel and got hit on by another creepy guy and told him I was meeting my boyfriend back at the hostel and he went away.
Sunday morning I went to Mass at Stephansdom and it was beautiful.
After Mass I took a few more pictures then I walked to the National Library and Punksaal. Which had an exhibit dedicated to Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier including original transcripts and the librettist Hugo von Hofmannsthal's first drafts with Strauss' motif ideas scribbled in the margins. It was very cool, then I went to the Burggarten which is where Hitler announced the Anschluss or the annexation of Austria into Nazi Germany.
Next I went to Schloß Shönbrunn. Which was the summer palace of the Hapsberg dynasty. And exactly what I imagine when I read Jane Austin. You read about the people taking the carriages around their gardens and I never really imagined why that would be necessary, then I saw these gardens (multiple gardens) and they were astounding even though it was wintry. I took the indoor tour where pictures were not allowed and then walked around the grounds for a couple of hours. Then I headed home. I'll just upload the pictures here and then let you go. This has been much took long in the writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment