Ya know how your teachers never seem like real people? no matter how long ago you were their student? Well I was recently added as a friend to a former professor's real facebook account. Having graduated I guess I am now at the peer level. Does this mean I can call him by his first name? Does it mean that next time I'm in town we can karaoke? What are the boundaries now?
But I will say one thing, my entire perspective of the man is changed. I haven't lost respect or anything, but I definitely see him as a person rather than a professor. He too counts down the number of school days until the end of the semester, he cares about what's going on in the world of sports. He has snarky friends. He has friends that *gasp* aren't professors at SUU!
I guess I understand why our professors distance their personal lives from their students, I certainly will WHEN I start teaching. (see how I did that? Just because things aren't going my way just yet doesn't mean they won't) I definitely don't want my students knowing when I have a date or my weekend activities. Teachers have to have a life outside of school, something that is explicitly (double connotation of explicit) theirs. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they'd all go bat **** crazy!
No comments:
Post a Comment