Life's Lemons

These are the musings, rantings and babblings of one whose life is not going according to plan.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ready or not, here I come...

I really started this blog because I had some life changes in the works.  Well today, one of them became more or less official.  For the past few weeks I have been looking into becoming a nanny in Europe.  It may seem a little random and sudden, and quite honestly it is. 

I was talking via the facebook to my friend Meredith Morse.  She is currently living in Geneva Switzerland with a cute little family.  I started talking to her about what was going on here in the States.  I had just seen Inception, she told me that she hadn't been able to find it in English yet.  Clearly I recommended she not see it until she could see it in English because any distraction (subtitles, or the actors lips moving differently than the French audio) would be detrimental to her viewing experience.  I told her I'd send her a copy when it came out on DVD.  She threw out "or you could bring it when you come visit me" as one of those kind-of-a-joke-but-more-like-a-guilt-trip jokes.  I told her I clearly would not have the money for that considering my dismal job situation.  She recommended I do what she's doing.  I looked at the website and made a profile as kind of a long game super back up plan. 

The next day I received 2 e-mails alerting me of people that were interested in me.  One of these families was Maria and Thomas Reisinger of Marchtrenk, Austria.  We exchanged a few e-mails, discussed setting up a Skype interview.  Then I didn't hear from them for awhile, I talked with other families, some pretty seriously.  Eventually I said "alright, if I don't hear back from Maria by September 24th I'll go with the family in Dusseldorf"  Well I checked my e-mail that day, and low and behold, an e-mail from Maria.  At this point I had basically made my mind up about going with another family.  Suddenly I had a decision to make.  But it's funny how things just fall into place.  Right after I talked to Maria on Skype (last Sunday) I e-mailed Nina and told her about my situation and that if she were serious, we needed to formalize it.  She e-mailed me back the next day saying that they'd found someone that was already living in their town and they were going to go with her, blah blah blah.  I was a little bummed, but also glad that I didn't have to choose between two good things.

I talked to Maria and her Husband today, they are really funny people.  We both felt good about each other and they officially invited me to come work with them.  And so after all of the families that I've been in communication with over the last month, I ended up with the first family.  It feels right.  The timing is good, it's after Christmas and after my sister has her baby.  It's just right.  For the first time since I graduated in May I feel like I'm doing what the universe wants me to do.  Even when I was looking for teaching jobs and filling out a million applications and going to interviews, none of it felt comfortable.  I know life isn't supposed to be comfortable and that change is good etc.  However, your life decisions shouldn't make you feel uneasy.  I feel totally easy.  As in the opposite of uneasy not as in... well easy. You know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment